A few weeks ago, the title of this post was revealed to me as a common practice Kevin Geer expects within his organization. The contagious positive emotion a smile creates motivates us to share it and feel it.
The reality of this happening every day in a school setting made my heart burst with excitement and reflection. If a school fosters and maintains a positive culture you should feel the smile when you walk into the building!
Once our students meet their seats, how can we continue student smiles throughout the day? Below are five guidelines:
- SMILE- Show your students that you LOVE having them in your classroom.
- TRUST- Intentionally take time to develop meaningful relationships with a foundation of authentic trust.
- CELEBRATE- Focus on the positive and praise the behaviors you expect.
- COMMUNICATE- Post and explain learning goals guiding students to clearly understand essential standards.
- COLLABORATE- Welcome parents as a part of the student, teacher, and parent team. Bring parents into the classroom everyday by sharing your story.
Below is a great example of what it takes to continue the positive emotion created from the seven initial smiles shared before students meet their seats!